Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Whats on the menu today??


And so continues my local food adventures..

I tried the Chee Cheong Fun and also the Chwee Kuay.

Chee Cheong Fun(CCF) is steamed rice roll. Its famous in China ,Malaysia, Singapore & Hongkong.. It is in rolled form commonly, some even contain stuffing inside.The topping/stuffing has a wide range of variety from veggie to seafood. Its serves as breakfast for the Chinese. When I had it for the first time it reminded me of our South-Indian 'Neer-Dosa'!! No kidding!! Its almost the same except that the texture is tooo soft than Neer-Dosa. .Also the sweet sauce just adds to the flavour. They serve it with chilli too if you prefer it that way.The  Chee Cheong Fun I had was served with black sweet sauce  and sesame on the top.


 Some are also served with curry sauce or fried or cooked in soup, or stuffed with other filling.
The ingredients that makesChee Cheong Fun :

Rice flour
Cornstarch
Salt
Water
Cooking oil
Chopped spring onion
Sweetened soy sauce and sesame paste
The taste depends very much on the sauce that accompanies CCF also.

Chwee Kuay is steamed rice cake. Tastes exactly like the CCF except that it is in shape of 'IDLIS'!! Yes once again our South-Indian touch.. The texture is  soft and just like 'Raagi Halwa'. The crunchy scrumptious  topping is radish fried with garlic and sesame oil seasoning[Chinese use sesame oil for cooking-a recent revelation to me ] ! The ingredients are as same as CCF, only difference is the shape:) and the name :) Chwee kuay is available with different toppings/ Sauces.

I also tried another dish (name I dont remember now so will have to update later) noodles with veggies.

I held/used Chop-sticks for the very first time!!Achievement of the month! (I need to make space for achievement of the month in my blog now.See? this is why I love blogging.An original spontaneous idea!). Like how a mother would snap the picture of her baby walking for the first time taking her first steps, my colleagues wanted to click my picture with chop-sticks.I was touched! Here it is.
ACHIEVEMENT OF THE MONTH!
P.S   : If you are a vegetarian then extra precaution has to be taken to ask what the topping/stuffing are.......

3 comments:

  1. Applause! Kudos! Cheers!! Proud of your achievement and glad your colleagues helped you out with it. Being honest in accepting makes you a good learner, i'm sure you'll be eating even bisibelebath with chopsticks very soon going by your transformation into chinese stuffs! :)
    btw, your blog can also be a pointer for chinese veggie lovers.. keep posting gal, i'm hungry looking at the pics oready :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and really great achivement..... and thanks for the names so that next time i visit i can ask the same veg food. Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  3. khaa le moti....jitna khaa sakthi hai....lolzzz!

    ReplyDelete