Friday, January 7, 2011

Yong Tau Fu.....!


All this healthy eating has set off the trigger. A week of subway submarine sandwiches and I thought I can do better than that! Make a diet plan such that I can never get bored of Subway (How I love it!).. So today I had the healthiest meal ! The Chinese Yong Tau fu. It is a clear soup containing a variety of food. It’s particularly healthy as you have the option to choose the  vegetables that are put in ( a-la-carte). The clear soup is based on water and contains soy bean, there is little to no oil involved during cooking and most of the ingredients.

This is how you order:  You choose the vegetables, greens,noodles that you want , these are then boiled (in front of you)briefly in the soup  and it’s served all together in a bowl.
I chose,
Lady’s finger
beancurd skin
Seaweed
Aubergine(brinjal)
mushrooms
Noodles:  Yellow & bee hoon(bee hoon is nothing but the vermicelli we use)
Sauce: Chilli  & sweet brown sauce
(Ofcourse you have a choice of seafood and meat . My Singaporean colleague/friend helped me pick out my veggies )

I had the dish served ‘dry’ with only the sauces and took the soup separately.
This is eaten with chopsticks but alas! I dont know how to use one! So I devoured my meal with a fork and a spoon!

Low in calories, carbohydrates and fat. High vegetable intake to get vitamins and proteins and tasty too! YUMMY! I have no doubt it will help my waist-line :)

This country is a Food Paradise and I intend to explore it within my vegetarian limits!!

5 comments:

  1. i think this food is having effect on you.... ur frequency of blogging has increased exponentially.... whoa girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those veggies preboiled? Because I always thought they don't give it enough time in the soup after we pick them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all the ingredients are pre-cooked. Only the fried ones are. The veggies are just thrown in the super-boiling broth and gets cooked easily. In fact the ladies finger(Okra as they call it here) was whole and raw before they cut into pieces and boiled it in the boiling bubbling soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey good analysis Anjali! I had it after you posted this blog and just loved this stuff, though I had to struggle with the chopsticks (I'm not yet comfortable with them) There's something called storm tea or lae chaa.. try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am listing down all the vegeterian names so that i can have when i am travel these plase.... thanks a million and keep going

    ReplyDelete