Friday, June 10, 2011

A web of Facebookers !


Social outcast, reject of civilization, loner, even an alien being - Thats what you are if you are not on Facebook :)  I was a girl with no identity- on FACEBOOK! Of course I wasn't an anti-social or a misanthrop! But ofcourse I was not known because I was not tagged in someone else's album or was 'liked' in my status or being 'poked' by someone .Mine was a tragic existence ( lol). To the outside world I was non-existant. ( ofcourse I had my reasons , I just dont like trouble makers)

I stuck to my guns and resisted all forces that have been luring me to sign up into this web weaved by humans.(pun intended)  The only agenda behind not joining the crowd was not having to login to that hell of a site on an addictive, daily basis.Thinking of all the productivity wasted being nosy and lurking into someones profile and pictures.  Also to stand out from the rest of the crowd even if it means to be an outcast! Well, the day has finally come when I succumbed to the forces and surrendered to the mighty web. It was like a conspiracy of the nature against me to create a series of events around me such that I voluntarily( happily ) signed up in FB!

In the past 2-3 weeks of Facebooking experience I have positive and ofcourse negative opinions about it.Its a good networking site and a ego boosting site for attention seekers like me ( lol again). I just love the 'like' button! Yet I still find FB a little overrated.My aim is mainly professional networking ofcourse can be done through linkedin too ,like a friend suggested. But all in good time!

 I have classified different types of people on this virtual web community as per my views:

Attention Seekers:
These are the FBers who crave for attention. You will find them uploading a lot of photos . Need I say who belongs to this category?

Lurkers or Peeping-toms:
These are the FBers who just click away from one friends profile to another, keeping tabs on whats happening in others life. ( mostly house-wives and teenagers)

Virtual FBers:
They have FB accounts but they seldom update pics or statuses.They are just 'observers'. The idle account is to just to observe the other FBers and not be branded as an outcast. Name-sake FBer.

The Friend-Collectors:
They add anyone and everyone they fancy online. Unknown and faceless people. I dont understand what drives them to do it. Chatting online expanding the so-called "Friends list". Maybe a sense of achievement?

Two glorious weeks and I am enjoying every minute yet feeling guilty of the time spent which could otherwise be spent being creative on the blog or even watch a movie! At the same time it has gotten me closer to friends and family without having to call them, being in touch and without fail(damn memory!) wishing on their birthdays!

P.S : This is just my way of categorizing. No intentions to offend anyone.

2 comments:

  1. I just came across another type of Fber: Surveillance Fber - These are the parents who have FB accounts to keep an eye on the kids and the kids friends..They get hooked too and post videos, update statuses and play cool! Amazing huh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U r too much. join the FB company.very good detail

    ReplyDelete