Friday, March 25, 2011

The Chinese Chaat... ?


Lately I have been having cravings. Don't get ideas. As much as I am enjoying and exploring my new world here , there are weak moments when I miss home and the street food. There's nothing like eating Chaats- Pani puri, bhel puri or masala puri. Just the thought excites my taste-buds.


Today I stumbled upon something which satisfied my cravings ( to an extent).

Kueh Pie Ti:


Its an improvised pani-puri. The puri is in shape of cup-cakes.
The ingredients are :
Cooked Turnip- never thought I will eat Turnip, most hated veggie
Cooked carrot
Sweet sauce
Grated peanuts
Minced garlic
Chilli sauce
Coriander leaves

Thats all. At the first bite I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Crunchy,salty , sweet - all at just one bite..


Popiah:

Its basically nothing but a  veggie wrap, or a spring roll. Its nothing but 'Rumali roti' stuffed with veggies and they call it Chinese Popiah! Have you have watched those experts flying the dough in the air to make thin round Rumali rotis? Thats exactly how they make the Popiah skin .Then the below ingredients are added and rolled carefully.
Cooked Turnip
Cooked Carrot
Sweet sauce grated peanuts
Shredded cucumber
Bean sprout
Coriander leaves


Nothing compares our desi chaat. But this almost comes close.
Out of all the dishes I have tried I would rate these the best!

A must try!

P.S: All veggies -  while the dish is whipped up,kindly keep your eyes open.

2 comments:

  1. I ate every day extra pani puri and masal puri on behalf of you :). Soon wil try to open an shop there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats good ...the recipie is here may be i can try it, at home.

    ReplyDelete