Monday, August 22, 2011

Cook and Share a Pot of Curry!

Day : 21 August, 2011
Venue : All over Singapore (and in my house)
Pots of curry
Photo art by Ms. Bernice Teo,
originally uploaded by the fallen angel
It all started with the smell of Indian curry. As read through the news articles for days and all the long chats with my Singaporean colleagues, I summarise this:


Community Mediation Center (CMC) imposed restrictions on a Singaporean Indian family cooking and eating curry at home following a complaint by their PRC (People's Republic of China or the mainland China) neighbors.They got the Indian family to agree to cook curry with their windows and doors closed and  only when the Chinese family was not home! All because the PRC's couldn't stand the smell of the curry! Now what would you call this? Racial discrimination, Religion discrimination , Food discrimination??


Singapore is a multiracial, multi-cultural, multi-lingual country. So far all religions, cultures have lived in peace and harmony. So what went wrong? Here's the twist : This incident happened 7 years ago!


I have no idea why and how the matter was brought into light and for godssake ,WHY now? Singapore has changed a lot in 7 years, people have changed a lot in 7 years , and so have I ! Yet , to create awareness and to make all foreigners and locals feel at home, a new movement started.It was like a revolution! "Cook and Share a Pot of Curry" on Facebook. The number of attendees increased by the day to protest against this disgraceful and shameless act! I was one among the 60,000 attendees doing my part. And a special thanks to Bernice Teo , who joined me on the occassion to share my pot of curry, which was a very touching moment for me.


The in-house Chef

And so it was more than a pot of curry at my residence:
Sweet Corn Soup
Brinjal curry
Cauliflower Curry
Paneer(Indian cheese) & Peas curry
Chapati(Indian Bread)
Ghee Rice
Carrot Halwa
Bon Apetite!
originally uploaded by the fallen angel


And so after our heavy lunch, we sat down to watch our French movie, "Le Grand Bleu" .( I need an eternity to write about this movie. Flawless! Words can never express the depth of emotions and meanings this movie portrays )
Le Grand Bleu.
originally uploaded by the fallen angel
And when the evening came to an end and it was time to call it a day, I felt warmth. No, Not the Singapore weather BUT a sense accomplishment and achievement in 'trying' to change the world.


This event has 2 major significances:
1. Bernice's dislike for Eggplant(Brinjal) has come to an end and on the contrary she now likes it (only the Indian way)
2. I am more aware and involved in this diversified culture now, which helps me adapt here even more.. I love all my Indian/Malay/indonesia/Filipino/Chinese Friends and fellow-beings, irrespective of their food, clothing or language!


All said and done, August 21st shall now be celebrated by me as the "Curry Day"!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely written Anjali! Thanks for the lovely lunch and you're a great host!!!

    Bernice

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! So that was you!! Thanks a ton for the encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete