Thursday, May 12, 2011

My Best Friends..

May 8th was celebrated by the world as the Mother's Day.Not that I have ever celebrated that day before.. Its just commercialized these days, not of emotional importance anymore.

But anyway, I would take that as an opportunity to say "Thank you" to my mother.Thank you, for various reasons. For making me the person I am today. For all the love and blessings bestowed upon me even when I deserved it the least. For loving me when I needed it the most..

The memories of childhood cannot be erased easily. Its the simplest things in life that gives pleasure.. And my mother introduced us( brother and I) to such an important pleasurable thing - BOOKS
While I was 6 years old ,thats when I started reading my first comics.(Come to think of it, at the age of 6 was when my life started. Until then I was just an eating, pooping, sleeping baby!) While my mom went to work, we were left  to spend time with our 'friends' - the books.

One learns from childhood. We learnt about everything through these books.

TINTIN:
Those were the days. Reading these comics (which I found out recently is of French Origin) was more than pleasure. The characters, Captain Haddock and Snowy ( this comic inspired us to name our doggie who is no more with us) .
I just love Captain Haddocks dialogues. His curses -" Blistering barnacles,Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles in a thundering typhoon, Baboons" etc etc..I adore Tintin's wit, humor and his adventures

ASTERIX & OBELIX:
 Another French comic by origin. Gaul is the village they live in. And Gaul is nothin but France in the olden era! All good things in life are French ( hahahah). I loved these characters. Asterix the smart one Obelix the dumb one. The Gauls are always at war with the Romans. And the magic potion made by the druid Getafix always saves the day. The magic potion gives the gauls
superhuman strength. Its an amazing read as the comic book has several entertaining characters like the village singer Cacophonix etc..

Bob & Bobbette:
Can you believe it?Another French origin comics..! The characters Bob , Bobette , Aunt Agatha and Professor Barbaras and their adventures is the main plot of the comic book. I love Bobbettes ragged doll Molly too!. I haven't managed to read all the series yet. So its still in my "to read" list.





ARCHIE:
Who hasn't read this one?? Revolves around 5 friends- Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Reggie living in a town called Riverdale..there are other amusing entertaining characters too like Moose , Dilton..Its a perfect book for teenagers... Brings back the memories of good old days. sigh.






TINKLE:
The Indian Comic book! The stories are mainly for small kids which helps in building moral values. Also the characters like Suppandi, Shikari Shambu, Tantri the Mantri are so very entertaining.Words are not enough to say how wonderful these books are and how much they mean to me






my collection -Not for Sale.:) 
I never got around to thank my mother for introducing us to our childhood friends. To this day, with the advent of the internet the habit of reading has cultivated to become an obsession.
 Books keep me company at lonely times.. They are to me nothing less than best friends.. And I owe it all to you mom..

3 comments:

  1. Your Mother ....The best mother and best friend....yes,no doubt...and you are very very,very,very,lucky...... she is the best in the world...Bharath mata ki Jai ho......

    ReplyDelete
  2. its true...anjali,our mothers r really great people.when we look back their sacrifices ,love,care etc.that they bestowed on us..a question always arouse can we become such moms one day.abt aunty she is one of the few people whom i admire.she had told me hw she used to provide u both books at home during vacation.this column is absolutely for ur mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont worry...just yesterday was chatting with her on this and told her that both of us owe a thanks to this reading habit for opening u our horizons and of course giving us the command over english....so , thanks already has been conveyed.... :)

    ReplyDelete